Welcome!

Thank you for chosing to particpate in our blog, "It's all about the I". This forum provides an opportunity for collaboration around the topic of high quality instruction.


Each month please read the chapter that correlates with the monthly topic, respond to the "Read and Reflect" and the "Discuss" section and post your responses on the blog. Also, please use ideas from the "Do" section to apply the monthly topic in your classroom and post your experience. I encourage you to comment on other blog member's posts. The more interactive we make our blog the more we will gain from the experience!


All posts should be complete by the last day of the month. Then we will be on to another topic!!


Sunday, October 2, 2011

Effort and "The Smart Kids"

Hi everyone! Sorry for my tardiness in posting ... technical difficulties!

What truly resonated with me when reading this chapter was the emphasis on explicitly teaching effort to all students. I have always had an effort chart in my classroom that I would draw attention to and talk about with my class but I have not explicitly taught what effort means before this year. As a first grade teacher I think it's really important to teach kids what this means. At this point in the year, I've noticed that all my students consider ALL their work a #4 effort if it's finished. My goal for the next couple weeks is to do more teaching and modeling on what a #4 effort truly is. By doing this I hope that my studentswill have a better understanding of what is such a vague concept to them. They have begun rating their work with an "effort" box that they put at the top of the page once they's completed the assignment. My plan for next week is to show them their effort box and compare it to their achievement on the assignment during a graphing activity. I'm hoping this will further emphasize that effort isn't just getting the work done, it's how hard to try when it's difficult for you. Which brings me to my next point...

In the chapter the authors talked about effort and achievement. They mentioned how the stress of "being smart" can sometimes be setting students up for failure. When kids are considered "the smart one" in class we often assume they will succeed on any given task. We, as well as the student, come to expect their achievement on many [if not all] assignments. But what happens when the smart ones come across a concept or assignment that is difficult or challenging for them? So often I've noticed that my most advacned students give me the least amount of effort in their work. Since it is easy for them, why should they go above and beyond the expectation? These students aren't used to taking the academic risk of being wrong or making a mistake. If we shift our focus on effort rather than just results, I'm hoping that we will begin to see even greater work from those students who are capable of truly exceptional academic success.

3 comments:

  1. Kayla you make some really good points here. An earlier blogger posted of the importance of effort for students who receive special education services. Because so many of these students have received the message along the way that they shouldn't and couldn't, effort will be critical to their success. But also for students that learning comes easy and those who are used to effortless academic success...eventually they will be faced with a challenging task...what will happen to these students if they haven't practiced effort and never giving up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla,
    I was exactly that student. I graduated in the top 10% of my class from Fairhaven High with almost no effort. Then almost flunked out of college in my first year because I had no idea how to study or break things down when they got challenging. Teaching effort and persistence helps everybody!
    Great Job yesterday BTW- we all left wanting to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla,
    I was exactly that student. I graduated in the top 10% of my class from Fairhaven High with almost no effort. Then almost flunked out of college in my first year because I had no idea how to study or break things down when they got challenging. Teaching effort and persistence helps everybody!
    Great Job yesterday BTW- we all left wanting to know more.

    ReplyDelete