Welcome!

Thank you for chosing to particpate in our blog, "It's all about the I". This forum provides an opportunity for collaboration around the topic of high quality instruction.


Each month please read the chapter that correlates with the monthly topic, respond to the "Read and Reflect" and the "Discuss" section and post your responses on the blog. Also, please use ideas from the "Do" section to apply the monthly topic in your classroom and post your experience. I encourage you to comment on other blog member's posts. The more interactive we make our blog the more we will gain from the experience!


All posts should be complete by the last day of the month. Then we will be on to another topic!!


Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cues, Questions, and Advanced Organizers

This chapter was really interesting and made me think about how/how often I am questioning my students.  As a Special Education teacher, I feel that the "higher-order thinking" questions should be asked a lot more than they are.  A lot of our students are unable to effectively interpret and analyze data or information.  This skill is imperative for success at this level in regards to MCAS, SAT's, College...ect.  


Activating prior knowledge is something that I've found to be extremely helpful for my classes...I've noticed that a lot of students just need that "little something extra" to help them understand a new concept and connect that concept to prior knowledge.  I've personally never tried a word splash, though I've heard that they work well.  Typically we start with a class discussion and some sort graphic organizer followed by a visual or tactile activity (youtube, coloring, modeling...).  


On another note...I feel that Analytic skills should be explicitly taught to students especially if they are lacking such a skill.  





Definition of Analytic Skills
Analyzing Errors: Identifying and articulating errors in the logic of information.
Constructing Support: Constructing a system of support or proof for an assertion.
Analyzing Perspectives: Identifying and articulating personal perspectives about issues.
 (page 116: Figure 10.2)


No comments:

Post a Comment