Welcome!

Thank you for chosing to particpate in our blog, "It's all about the I". This forum provides an opportunity for collaboration around the topic of high quality instruction.


Each month please read the chapter that correlates with the monthly topic, respond to the "Read and Reflect" and the "Discuss" section and post your responses on the blog. Also, please use ideas from the "Do" section to apply the monthly topic in your classroom and post your experience. I encourage you to comment on other blog member's posts. The more interactive we make our blog the more we will gain from the experience!


All posts should be complete by the last day of the month. Then we will be on to another topic!!


Saturday, January 21, 2012

Homework

This section was really interesting section to me, in that, I can't figure out how to get my kids to complete their homework!! After reading this section, I realize how important it is to make sure the kids know WHY they are doing the homework, and that doing it, can actually HELP them!!



I liked the teacher's idea from the text- She made sure that each student knew WHY they were completing the homework and WHAT they needed to know to complete the homework (p.65). I don't think that a high school student would take the time to fill out something like this every night, but maybe once in a while as a sort of reminder to them that what they are doing IS important!

Working with high school students within the SPED program, I have realized, that they are generally:
1. discouraged
2. frustrated
3. confused
with their homework, and most parents are not as invested in their child's education as I remember my parents being. (This is only a generalization, I know that this is not the case for every student) I would love to learn how to better work with parents regarding their role in their child's education.

I co-teach with one particular math teacher that has each student sign a contract at the beginning of the year stating that they know the homework policy. She explains to them the research on homework, how much they should have, and what they should expect to accomplish by doing their homework. There are also consequences. Students that miss more than three homework assignments in one term are given a detention and a letter sent home (to be signed and sent back) to their parents. Each subsequent missed assignment results in another detention. It seems to work for our kids. They very rarely miss assignments because they know the expectations ahead of time, and they know that there are consequences for not completing it!

1 comment:

  1. I, too, liked this chapter. It is so difficult at the High School level to get some students to complete their nightly homework. I liked the homework squares (on pg. 65) also, but getting the students to find the time to record their homework for each subject is already next to impossible, never mind having them record the "purpose of their assignment" and "what they have to already know or be able to do in order to complete the assignment". I may type up some of those squares for our more problematic students and see if that will make a difference.

    ReplyDelete